The History at Split Rock
- 500 million years ago, there was an ocean where you are standing.
- 300 million years ago, glaciers crept across the land creating Lake Harmony and the actual Split Rock from which this resort got its name.
- In 1941, Robert V. White finished construction of the original Lodge as a hunting and vacation retreat.
- In 1946, White carved trails in a nearby mountain, now known as Big Boulder, and opened the lodge to the public as the first ski resort in the Pocono Mountains.
- In 1970, the lodge was destroyed by a devastating fire. A year later a group of Split Rock cottage owners formed the Pocono Recreation Inc. to rebuild and expand the lodge where its ashes previously laid.
- In 1981, Vacation Charters Ltd., owned by Jack and Barbara Kalins, purchased and expanded the property to include the Town Center, Westwood Villas, and Split Rock Golf Course.